2021 Land Rover Defender MPG Figures
The 2021 Land Rover Defender mpg figures can reach up to 18 mpg city and 22 mpg highway, but your precise gas mileage will be determined by your choice of body style and powertrain:
- The Defender 90 is the only model that can get up to 18 mpg in the city, and it needs the P300 powertrain in order to do so.
- Defender 90 models with the P400 powertrain get up to 17 mpg city, and all Defender 110 models do too.
- On the highway, Defender 90 models get up to 21 mpg with the P300, while Defender 110 models get up to 20 mpg with the same engine.
- Opt for the P400, and you’ll enjoy 22 mpg highway no matter which configuration you choose.
Land Rover Defender Gas Mileage by Configuration
The breakdown provided above should give you a fair idea of what to expect when you dive into our new Land Rover Defender inventory. Still, we know that many potential buyers will benefit from a quick reference guide:
Defender 90 Gas Mileage
- Defender 90 with P300 – 18 mpg city / 21 mpg highway / 19 mpg combined
- Defender 90 S with P300 – 18 mpg city / 21 mpg highway / 19 mpg combined
- Defender 90 X-Dynamic with P400 MHEV – 17 mpg city / 22 mpg highway / 19 mpg combined
- Defender 90 First Edition with P400 MHEV – 17 mpg city / 22 mpg highway / 19 mpg combined
- Defender 90 X with P400 MHEV – 17 mpg city / 22 mpg highway / 19 mpg combined
Defender 110 Gas Mileage
- Defender 110 with P300 – 17 mpg city / 20 mpg highway / 18 mpg combined
- Defender 110 S with P300 – 17 mpg city / 20 mpg highway / 18 mpg combined
- Defender 110 SE with P400 – 17 mpg city / 22 mpg highway / 19 mpg combined
- Defender 110 X-Dynamic SE with P400 – 17 mpg city / 22 mpg highway / 19 mpg combined
- Defender 110 X-Dynamic HSE with P400 – 17 mpg city / 22 mpg highway / 19 mpg combined
- Defender 110 X with P400 – 17 mpg city / 22 mpg highway / 19 mpg combined
No matter which model you’d like to bring home, our Defender lease offers can help you reach your goals.
Which Defender Powertrain is Right for You?
If you spend most of your time traversing city streets in Scottsdale or Phoenix, it may be a good idea to choose a Defender 90 with a P300 engine. On the other hand, if you’re looking for better highway performance for long-distance adventures — or you want a little bit more power at your disposal — a model with the P400 powertrain may be a better fit.
- 2.0L P300 i4 Gas Engine – This four-cylinder gas engine provides 296 hp and 295 lb-ft of torque.
- 3.0L P400 i6 Gas + MHEV – This mild-hybrid powertrain ups the ante by generating up to 395 hp and 406 lb-ft of torque.
A new V8 engine is being introduced for model-year 2022. Explore the latest Land Rover Defender towing capacity specs to learn more.
Is the Defender a Fuel-Efficient Off-Road-Capable SUV?
The Land Rover Defender gas mileage estimates make it one of the most fuel-efficient off-road-capable SUVs on the market today. Although the mpg figures identified above might not seem like much compared to those offered by compact cars and crossovers, we think the experts at Motor Trend have hit the nail on the head: “compared to the G-Wagon and Land Cruiser, the Defender is a Prius.”
If you’d like to learn more about other off-road-capable SUVs in our own lineup, compare the Defender to the Land Rover Discovery.